Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A step forward

When I think there's a step forward there might be a step back in the process. Really if you think about it, all the steps backward in life really helps us learn how to move forward for success.

My management class launched a student-run business this semester. And since this is my first semester teaching the class I'm kindda learning as I go and trying to make improvements along the way. It's a really small class of only 10 students and when I told them of the class business they were very skeptical. In fact, I had two students drop the class. But 10 stuck with me - thank goodness. I've given a lot of opportunities in class discussions for the students to give input to what would motivate them. Unfortunately, we never got anywhere - I got the typical responses - no tests, no final exam, we want to earn money - we don't want to do anything or should I say - "we want to do as little as possible for the biggest rewards." So I could go on in more detail but the first month was a struggle getting the students motivated. We had a sales goal - they reached and they were proud of themselves - and I think they saw results! They felt success! AND THEN WE TOOK A STEP FORWARD.

So here we are at almost the end of month two and I met with my class today and for the first time saw great energy in the room - motivation! This month we set up a to-do list on a google doc. Its really helped to make the students accountable and make them see how everyone plays a part in accomplishing a goal.

Ok - so what's the step back you ask? Feedback is sometimes discouraging except feedback is so important to improve your practice - so I continue to do it. My management students just finished reading Sean Covey's Habits of Highly Effective Teens. On their test I asked for their thoughts on the book and the way in which it was taught. Many students liked it a lot and plan to incorporate things they learned into their lives - WIN! Two students felt that the book didn't teach them anything they didn't already know - and they are not fans of self-help books. And I think a little part of me was disappointed in this. Sure, the concepts in the book isn't rocket science or it isn't a new discovery of an invention but you know - its about improving ourselves, seeing our strengths and weaknesses and growing. To turn this into another WIN I plan on telling reflecting with them - while they don't think they learned anything new - it gave them time to think about themselves and sometimes we don't do that enough. I think that is a WIN for sure.

REFLECTION
  • Seeing success once helps you reach for it again.
  • Taking a step back only helps us move forward
  • Instead of thinking of the ones you can't reach, think of the ones you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment