Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Overcoming a Challenge

As a teacher I am always touched by amazing things that happen at schools that make a difference. In my blog I try to bring you inspiration and motivation from the classroom and from life. This story is of a motivational speaker that gave a speech recently at a Chicago Public School, Julian High School in the Roseland and Pullman communities, to speak of overcoming challenges and never giving up. According to the Chicago Tribune, 85-95% of the students at Julian H.S. live in poverty and many have one parent absent at home. Motivational speaker and Paralympian, Lloyd Bachrach, spoke of his story of being born with missing bones in his legs and how he over came adversity.

Lloyd is actually my cousin (2nd, 3rd or twice removed...I'm not sure how it goes) but I've known Lloyd's story all my life. Honestly, I'm not sure as a kid I really realized there was "a story" about Lloyd. I just knew that Lloyd was one of my really cool cousins (and he just so happened to walk with a cane - which I probably thought was a cool toy). As I got older I heard family members tell his story and I've heard Lloyd give his speech. But now it's different. As an educator, I am truly moved and inspired how a person overcoming life's challenge of a physical disability can inspire others to overcome life of poverty. Check out the Chicago Tribune's story. Pat Dunnigan did an amazing job telling the story. While Lloyd's challenges of a disability were different than Julian's students of poverty, life is the same - life gives you challenges but its what you do with it that makes a difference in your future.

In the article Dunnigan wrote: Bachrach also stressed perseverance. "When you quit is when you have failed," he told the students. "There is no one way to do things in life."

I have to give props to the Assistant Principal Ihechi Sadiki and Allie Whitehurst, coordinator of Julian's Culture of Calm program for the school for bringing Lloyd Bachrach to speak at their school and make the connection for students. They are trying to help students "fill the gap" to overcome adversity - that is truly inspiring.

REFLECTION:
  • Life gives everyone challenges in one form or another. Don't feel sorry for yourself, don't feel sorry for others. Look around and get a reality check - accept and move on.
  • Life's challenges can teach us something - what is your life challenge trying to tell you? Sometimes you can't always see it when you're standing right in the middle of the struggle. Take a step back, relax and give it time because eventually you can reflect to find the true lesson of your story. (Maybe it's trying to teach you that you are strong than you realize)
  • Make your choice! Think of your life as a choose your own adventure book. Your future is unwritten. In the end of the story, where do you want to be? Overcoming challenges or being defeated by them?

No comments:

Post a Comment