Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Teacher's Drive to Student Motivation

I'm still trying to uncover the secrets to motivation with my students.  My management & leadership class is a new prep for me this semester.  I've taken the old curriculum which includes units on personal management using the 7 Habits for Highly Effective Teens and units on management functions, leadership, communication, case studies and ethics.  This year I decided to launch a student-run business out of the class so we are using  Market Day for the business model because there's no inventory and customers can purchase product online which makes it a turn-key business for us.  I could provide anyone with more details and pro/cons of using Market Day but my focus here is the journey of discovering what motivates my students.

Last semester we had issues of lack of motivation primarily because students didn't feel connected to the cause.  For me, I thought the learning opportunity and the experience they gain to put on their resume was the big BLING for doing Market Day at all.  The students got to make decisions on marketing, customer service and gain real life experience - how much better can it get.  LEARNING BY DOING.  But there were a lot of other things that played into it.  Students wanted to make money themselves....I could go off on a tangent of the teen generation but that's really for another blog post.  So despite my talks with my students about the rewards of their hard work, they really didn't seem to care.  I've been reading Daniel Pink's book, Drive and I'm seeing now some problems that I did first semester - mainly the carrot and the stick.  I offered prizes and incentives but in the end it was just a short term band-aid for the problem. And by the end of the semester the hardworking motivated students where so discouraged by the other half of students, everyone gave up.

One month into second semester:  Here's my REFLECTION: 
  • The start of the semester is to jam packed with the 7 Habits Sean Covey book and starting the student-run business
  • I need to reevaluate using the Sean Covey book.  Some of the students feel that it is common sense and the stories are for a younger audience.  CONSIDER USING THE STEVEN COVEY BOOK OR LETTING STUDENTS PICK A SELF-MANAGEMENT BOOK OF THEIR CHOICE.
  • Business organization charts includes a student President, and managers that run two marketing departments, an operations department and a finance department. 
  • NEW: The student president has been a great addition to the org chart this semester.  David is helping provide valuable feedback and help the group stay organized.
  • NEW: Rotating managers every 2-3 weeks versus every month. 
  • Each month each student will do a reflection on the business - what worked, what didn't, how to improve, what did they learn.
  • NEW: after the manager is done with their rotation they will do a reflection paper as well.
  • NEW: When students are discouraged about lack of motivation I am explaining the Team goals and not emphasizing short term "carrot and stick" incentives and explaining why.
  • NEW: We've spent a class preparing a one-month department plan including their goals.  The next class they work on executing the plan.  Students seemed to have more direction and motivation in completing their goals.
  • NEW: Incorporated manager meetings to help with planning and to help provide managers with experience and opportunities to discuss concerns.  This gives me the opportunity to have those teachable moments and discuss concepts of motivation
To address one of my reflections above, do you have a book you would recommend relating to management, self-management, leadership or motivation that would be engaging for high school students?

No comments:

Post a Comment